Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whisky adventures #2

I have finish drinking my previous bottle of Glenfiddich 12yrs. Although I've finished another bottle of Glenfiddich 15yrs, I forgot to do a review because of my "hectic" schedule during my holidays! oh well, might as well do this!

Today, I would be drinking this...
Its Balvenie 12yrs Double Wood. As the packaging has explained, it was "marinated" in two different cask. One in whisky oak cask and another one is in sherry oak cask. Why two different cask? Balvenie trying to achieve a unique flavour with its 12yrs I think.

So lets get down to the business!
Can you see the legs?! Haha! Anyways! The nose! It smells sweet with a lingering scent of vanilla. The sweet is not sugary sweet, it is a fruity type of sweet.

Now we move on to the taste. When you take it in, the smell of the sweetness comes to you and when it reaches you tongue, it will taste sweet and spicy. Not only that it has a smooth and mellow taste. There is also one more taste I cant seem to recognise. The disappointing part comes as you swallow it. Usually whisky will leave you a smooth and warming finish, but this, it just goes away. Nothing lingers in the mouth and it just disappears! Leaving the mouth tasteless.

Now its time to add a little water. Dont worry about adding water! Just dont add too much! It will actually change the taste of the whisky! When water is added, there is the taste of cinnamon with decrease spicyness. There is a small hint of walnut also. However, the finish is still the same!

How would I rate this whisky? Although the taste of this whisky is fantastic and really palatable but the finish really spoils it. I wouldnt recommend this nor I would buy it again. But it is still a good whisky to drink. 7 out of 10.

No comments: